Getting the best laptop docking station for your needs is a great way to expand your laptop’s functionality while making it easier and more comfortable to work on. The best laptops docking stations can also help you work from home. This is especially important if you have a laptop with limited ports, such as a MacBook. The docking stations in this list of the best laptop docking stations allow you to expand your laptop’s connectivity options, making it an even more versatile machine by adding ports like additional USB ports, Ethernet LAN ports, and video connections.
So what to look for when shopping for the best laptop docking stations? Well, you need to make sure that whatever solution you’re looking for gives you all the features and ports you might need in your daily workload. With the best laptop docking stations, you can have the best of both worlds: a laptop that has the connectivity of a larger desktop PC.
Here are the best laptops docking stations:
1) Kensington USB 3.0 Docking StationKensington is a well-known and respected brand that has developed a reputation for its docking stations. It has the latest USB 3.0 model that can be used with MacBook or Windows laptops. This device will allow you to transform one USB port into six (it has four USB 2.0 ports on the back and a pair of USB 3.0 devices on the front).
You also get a DVI connector and adapters for use with HDMI or VGA cables, and there is an optional multi-display adapter to connect more than one monitor. It sits great next to your laptop and is affordable; It really is one of the best docking stations for laptops right now.
2) Microsoft Surface DockMicrosoft is a well-known company known primarily for its software prowess, but in recent years, it has been increasingly working on the hardware front. The Surface line of hybrid tablets proves this perfectly. If you have one, you’ll be happy to know that you can also reap the rewards a docking station offers. Surface Dock will allow you to turn your Surface convertible into a full desktop PC.
It is compatible with Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4, and Surface Book. As for connectivity, there are two Mini DisplayPorts, Gigabit Ethernet port, four USB 3.0 ports, and an audio output connector. However, this spring is not particularly cheap.
3) Plugable USB 3.0 Docking StationThe USB 3.0 Universal Laptop Docking Station is one of the best hubs for Windows operating system laptops. It not only works with the latest Windows 10 operating system but also works with the older generation versions such as Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 without any problem. The peripheral hub is very light and compact, making it easy to transport in a laptop bag without a problem.
Another important aspect of the universal USB 3.0 connection laptop docking station is the fact that it comes with a dual output port, where you can power up to two FHD (1080p) monitors or a single 2K (1440p) resolution monitor when connects using HDMI port
This laptop also supports DisplayLink, where you can plugin and play an external monitor without installing any drivers. In fact, this also supports monitor hot swapping. If you constantly change your monitor, then this is the laptop to consider.
If your modern laptop doesn’t have an Ethernet port, this is a great piece of hardware, as it comes with one, which can be used to connect your laptop with a high-speed Internet connection. Depending on the ports, it has a total of six USB ports, of which four offer USB 2.0 speed and two offer USB 3.0 speed. Lastly, this laptop dock also offers dedicated audio input and an audio output port.
4) Dell 452-BCYT D6000 Docking StationThe Dell 452-BCYT D6000 Universal, as the name implies, is a universal dock, which can be used on a laptop running on Mac OS or Windows OS. One of the best features of this docking station is the fact that it works even with Windows 7 based laptops and Windows 8 operating systems without any problem.
Not many of the stations are compatible with Ubuntu / Linux based machines, but the nice thing about it is that you can use it on such machines using Displaylink. When it comes to an external display or monitor mount, the Dell 452-BCYT D6000 Universal Dock can support a single 5K monitor or can handle up to three monitors with 4K resolution.
Please note that a laptop must come with a high-end GPU to support an external monitor with 5K resolution. The same also applies to connect multiple 4K monitors as well. Please note that if you connect three 4K monitors at the same time, 2 monitors will run at 60Hz and the third monitor will run at 30Hz. If you are using this laptop station with an entry-level or mid-level laptop, it is recommended to dim the external screen resolution to 1080 or 1440p, depending on the capabilities of the laptop. So that performance is not affected.
There’s also a dedicated USB Type-C port, which supports a maximum power output of up to 65W, ensuring your laptop charges quickly while connected to the laptop’s docking station. It also offers superior build quality as this machine’s external chassis is made of aluminum and can last for years without any problems. Overall, it’s a great laptop docking station for those who own a high-end laptop and work with multiple high-resolution external monitors.
5) Amazon Basics Docking Station:It’s a classic docking station that comes with the superior build quality, as is the case with many Amazon Basics products. The Amazon Basics Dual Monitor Dock comes with the ability to connect dual monitors. However, in this case, the resolution will be limited to 1080p on each monitor. If you want to use a higher resolution 2K monitor with this docking station, you must use the HDMI port.
The Amazon Basics USB 3.0 Universal Laptop Dual Monitor Station takes a simplistic approach when it comes to design. It looks good and most of the ports are located at the rear, giving it a clean look. The front panel comes with 2 USB 3.0 ports along with audio output and audio input port.
Depending on connectivity, Amazon Basics USB 3.0 Universal has a single RJ-45 Ethernet port, which supports gigabit internet speeds, which not only help users download but also easily upload files. The docking station ships with a CD (with driver software), which will be essential to use this. If you own a Windows laptop or even a MacBook, this is the station you will need. However, note that it doesn’t work on Surface RT and Linux-based operating systems like Kali.
6) Sabrent Universal Docking StationError: Unknown Link Type Sabrent is known for making high-quality computer accessories and this docking station with stand is one of the best we have seen so far. Unlike typical docking stations, this model comes with a stand that can be used to hold a smartphone or tablet while it is charging. It is compatible with laptops running on both Windows and macOS.
Upon reaching the display output, the Sabrent Universal Docking Station comes with a full-size HDMI port and a DVI video output port. The HDMI port can output at a maximum resolution of 2048 × 1152 pixels, while the DVI port can output at 1920x1080p. Please note that we were able to connect 2 monitors during our tests.
Coming to the ports, it has a total of 6 USB-A ports, of which 4 are compatible with the USB 3.0 standard and two are compatible with the USB 2.0 standard. With four USB 3.0 ports, two of the ports, which are in red, also support fast charging and can be used to quickly refill smartphones and tablets with ease.
It also comes with a Gigabit-class ethernet port, which gives modern laptops like the Apple MacBook Pro can access high-speed Internet connections without requiring an external adapter. However, if you plan to connect this cradle to the latest variant of MacBook Pro then you may need to get the USB-A to USB Type-C adapter.
7) Hiearcool Docking StationThe Hiearcool Type C Hub is one of the best docking stations that are lightweight and easy to carry. Although it can be used with Windows and macOS laptops, this will be best suited for Apple MacBook users. Upon reaching the display/display output, the Hiearcool USB C Hub, USB-C Docking can support up to 3 monitors at the same time.
Depending on the capacity of the laptop, it can support up to two 4K monitors through the HDMI port and a single FHD monitor using the VGA port. In addition, it also offers an option, where you can also dim the output resolution to QHD or FHD.
Along with 4 USB-A ports with USB 3.0 standard, the Hiearcool USB C Hub, the USB-C docking station has a dedicated microSD card slot and a dedicated SD card slot, where one can easily connect their memory cards to cameras without requiring any additional connectors.
Not compatible with Acer, Dell, and ASUS laptops. Also, it does not work with Apple iPad Pro 2018, Microsoft Surface Book 2, Nintendo Switch, Yoga Series, Lenovo C Series, and HP Elite Book 840 G3 and Pro Book 450. Also, when testing it in our labs, we noticed the EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) blackout for a few seconds (1-1.5 minutes) during data transfer, which is not the case with many other docks.
8) YXwin Docking StationThe YXwin docking station exclusively offers a total of 11 output ports. It has a total of three display ports, where there are two HDMI ports, which can support a resolution of up to 4K, and a VGA port, which can generate a maximum resolution of up to 1920 x 1080p. Even with all these features, it does not heat up, even with continuous use.
Although the latest 2019 11-in-1 2019 Triple USB Display Hub C Hub Docking Station has a single USB Type-C port, it is capable of offering 100W maximum power output, which can even quickly charge the latest Apple MacBook Pro with a 16-inch screen without any problem. It is so compact that you can easily carry it in your jeans pocket without any problem.
It has 4 USB-A ports with USB 3.0 support, where one can connect multiple accessories like keyboard, wired mouse, pen drive and other storage devices without any problem. In addition, a microSD card or SD card can also be used with the USB C Hub Triple Display-YXwin, as it offers a dedicated slot for both types of memory chips.
If you’re looking for a docking station that works well with the latest laptops with USB-Type-C input and output ports, then the USB C Hub Triple Display-YXwin might be a perfect fit for your needs.
9) Plugable USB-C Triple Display DockThe pluggable USB-C triple display dock is also a more designed station for lightweight notebook computers that can be charged via the USB Type-C port. It has a single USB Type-C port that is capable of delivering 100W output power, which can even charge high-end laptops. As for the ports, it comes with 4 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports, which offer faster data transfer compared to the competition. Additionally, the dock also has a dedicated ethernet port along with separate audio input and output ports via a 3.5mm jack.
The external display support can power up to 3 individual monitors at the same time, where 2 of them can work with FHD or 1080p resolution and one can work with QHD or 2K resolution. This is a vertical style laptop dock, taking up less space on your desk and offering more features. If you have a smaller desk and are looking for a compact station this might be the right one.
10) Dell D3100 Docking StationIf you plan to buy a laptop docking station, which can support a single 4K monitor paired with two FHD / 1080p monitors, then the Dell D3100 docking station might be something you should be paying for. It comes with a full-size DisplayPort, which can control an external display with a maximum resolution of 4K, and also has two HDMI ports, which can output at 1080p resolution, simultaneously.
In addition to the display output, this docking station offers features like up to 5 USB 3.0 ports along with a dedicated headphone jack and microphone input. If you want to connect a separate speaker and microphone to your laptop, then it could really be useful. Like any other Dell product, this one also has a premium design and incredible build quality. If you have a Dell laptop and are looking for a docking station then this should be a great option.
We have listed the best laptop docking stations for you, which will expand connectivity options for your laptop and make it a feature-packed desktop computer. Now you can add more peripherals you need on a daily basis, and thus your laptop will become an even more versatile machine. You no longer have to worry about your laptops and tablets having fewer ports, compact keyboards, and smaller screens. Whether you are a business professional or a gamer, hold a laptop docking station in your hands and turn your laptop into an advanced, future-ready workstation.